Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Favorite Apps To Help With Fitness/Weight Loss

All of these apps, I personally use to help me with my weight loss. I know these well so that's why I'm recommending them to you! These are in no specific order and all of the apps are free.

  • My personal favorite is MyFitnessPal.com. There is an app available for iphones and androids and you can also use it from the website. 
    • MyFitnessPal asks for your age, height and weight, and daily activity levels to determine a good amount of calories for you to take in during the day. You can set it to losing anywhere from 0.5 pounds per week to 2 pounds per week. **Just a warning, I set it to 2 pounds per week about 2 years ago and it ended up not being enough for me, and as a result, I started gaining weight because my body was taking up everything I ate. So it's better to go slower than faster. I am currently set at 1500 calories per day, and usually I go over anyway, but I'm fine as long as I stay under 2000 calories per day.
    • MyFitnessPal also sets how many sugars, fats, and dietary fiber you need per day, so you can look for foods with those nutrients in them to keep your diet balanced.
  • Next, another one I love is MapMyFitness.com, MapMyRun, MapMyWalk... etc. They're all the same app. I personally have MapMyWalk on my android and it gives you options like running, walking the dog, biking, etc. So whatever one you get doesn't limit you to that specific exercise. You can use these on iphone, android and just as a website as well.
    • This app uses your GPS on your phone to track where you workout. If you provide your height and weight, it will estimate how many calories you burned during the workout. This app can be connected to MyFitnessPal, so that as soon as you complete a workout, it enters it into MyFitnessPal.
    • I also like this app because it accounts for elevation. I live in a hilly area, so you obviously burn more calories running up a hill than running flat and if I enter that I ran for 30 minutes into MyFitnessPal, it just assumes that you're running on a flat surface.
    • I also like this app because it tracks your pace per mile, and overall average pace. It tells you when you've completed each mile and what your time was.
    • This app is free, but you can go MVP for added features. I just use the free version.
  • Another app that's good for strength training is iMuscle Home.  I have this on my ipad so it's available for iphone. I can't find it on the Google Play store, so I don't think it's available for android yet.
    • This app allows you to click on the part of the body that you want to improve, and gives you exercises to help strengthen that muscle. It also gives stretches for that muscle. 
    • This app has a lot of free content, but you get more from it if you purchase some content. I personally use the free version.
  • Finally, an app that is overlooked for fitness is Youtube.com. Obviously YouTube isn't strictly for working out, but there are many channels that specialize in fitness. There are channels that have 30 minute workouts for you to do, yoga channels, weight lifting channels, etc... 
    • Some of my favorite channels on YouTube are:
      • BeFit - Get high-quality, free workouts on BeFit! Transform your body and workout with top fitness trainers Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, Jane Fonda and more. Slim your waistline, tighten and tone your arms and get a great butt for free. Are you ready to be fit? Subscribe for updates and transform yourself today with BeFit, exclusively on YouTube.
      • ToneItUp - Share, Love, Inspire, Sweat!
      • Blogilates - Full length POP Pilates and fun Bootcamp Sculpting workouts to Top 40 Hits with certified fitness instructor Cassey Ho.
      • Livestrong - LIVESTRONG.COM is a new online destination designed to inspire people to change their lives, help themselves and help others.
      • LivestrongWoman - Your personal guide to becoming a better, healthier you.

No comments:

Post a Comment